Windows 8 group won't respect /etc/passwd or /etc/group

Hi there,
I've been struggling with an issue trying to figure out why Windows 8.1 won't seem to respect the trick of setting your /etc/password to use a default group such as users instead of 'none'. There are a few other discussions on this board around changing the group to "Users" and modifying the /etc/passwd to have a default group.

The issue I am stumped over is that if I create a file using windows explorer (or anything else outside of cygwin), when I go to ls the file in cygwin, the group is coming back as none. Well, technically it's coming back as 4294967295. (64 bit cygwin)

Even stranger, I can change the file manually with a chgrp Users and it looks and acts fine, but if I go to edit the file with notepad or any other external application, the group gets reset back to 4294967295.

I am trying to isolate it, thinking maybe it's something to do with the permissions of the parent folders, but I'm seeing this behavior all over the machine -- in My Documents, in Windows, in a blank test folder. I've tried removing some groups even, thinking maybe there was some weird inheritance going on, but haven't had much luck.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is driving me batty. I even tried going back to cygwin 32, but it exhibits the same issue -- just using the "None" group instead of "???????????" group.

Thanks.

-John