Re: Base 64-bit Cygwin now requires Perl?

On 2014-01-13 13:21, Andrew Schulman wrote:
lftp also has this problem.  It comes with a few sample scripts, two of which
are in Perl.  I include the sample scripts because why not, but cygport is now
quite diligent about finding this sort of thing, with the result that its
automatically-generated setup.hint now says that lftp depends on Perl.  Which is
annoying.

If they are just examples, you could install them as docs instead, as script dependencies under docdir are ignored; in the case of lftp:

cyginstall lib_LTLIBRARIES= pkgdatadir=\$(docdir)/examples

lftp isn't part of base of course.  I guess my point is just that when the only
option for dependency is "Requires", and Requires is determined automatically,
dependency lists are going to tend to grow.  It certainly seems to me that my
setup runs are pulling in a lot of extra required packages these days, that I
have no idea what they're for.

While there have been a few false positives, IMO cygport setup.hint generation has made for much more accurate dependencies overall, and the additional deps it finds really *should* have been there all along. That being said, please let us know if there are any specific dependency issues that you see.

Yaakov