RE: Extended attributes

 Hello!

> I'm really not inclined to add this.  As it is, the NTFS xattr are
> always treated as user attributes.  An NTFS attr "foo.bar" is returned
> as "user.foo.bar" and when writing, a "user.foo.bar" is written as
> "foo.bar".  Adding other attribute types requires to add some special
> casing and parsing code to differ user attributes from other attributes
> without breaking backward compatibility.
>
> Also, it will never work correctly on a Samba share, because Samba will
> always treat the incoming attribute as above.  So, if you write an
> attribute "trusted.md5sum" on a samba share, it will actually be
> converted to "user.trusted.md5sum" by Samba.

 Sorry for late reply, too busy at work now... The same about NFS-related packages - no time ATM to make them... :(
 You know, i got your point, and perhaps this can be rethought. Perhaps this can be done on SquashFS side. For example, we could tell it to store 'security.foo' attribute as 'user.squashfs.security.foo'. This could be also useful on Linux, because in this case you don't have to be root any more to be able to prepare a rootfs for your embedded device.
 I think i'll consider that after i finish up with NFS.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia