Re: AdminCygwin Release

On 1/21/2014 2:52 PM, BGINFO4X wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a "Small Admin Cywgin relase", called AdminCgwin.
If it works, I will upload to sourceforge.

These are the main lines:

1- Create an installation windows package (.msi) with WIX.

2- Default Installed packages: base + admin + apt-cyg.
The remaining packages should be installed via apt-cyg

3- Customize /etc/profile to use folders outside the "Installation
folder".  Folders like Temp, Home must be out "cygwin installation
folder".

4- Customize Cygwin.bat to start in a folder with spaces.

5- Launch a custom action after msi installation, to execute
postinstall : 000-cygwin-post-install.sh.
I will try to reset /etc/passwd & /etc/group to the "new SAM machine".

Do you see any drawback that could broke cygwin? Do you have any
recommendation? I really appreciate your comments.

I see lots of potential issues with something like this:

But .... any issue related to "broke cygwin behaviour"?

Certainly this would have the potential to interfere with any existing
Cygwin installation.  Also, it's not clear to me that the post-install
scripts for the packages you're bundling in the MSI will be run.

not the least of which is that it will be a burden for you to keep up-to-date.

I will not try to keep up-to-date. Only "major releases" will produce
a new .msi. Upgrades should be done via "apt-cyg".

OK.  Obviously, depending on your audience, the multiple ways of installing
and upgrading may be a stumbling block.  Also, a subsequent installation of
Cygwin via setup*.exe could lead to problems.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is what problem are you
trying to solve and can it be done within the context of setup*.exe
and the existing packages?

Basically, the main idea is:

1- Fast installation of the package (msi). Can be also installed
massively via Active Directory or specialized programs.

OK, I'll take your word that your MSI package is "better" in this
respect.

2- Fast administration of a windows machine once installed.

Is there really a difference in usage once you've installed?  Seems to
me there should be no difference but I don't know what the particulars are
that you're thinking of.

3- Base platform for integration with other programs, like BGINFO4X or others.

Again, it's not clear to me how the mechanism for installing Cygwin affects
this, unless you see your MSI as growing to encompass these other programs
as well.  If so, then your MSI has a value beyond installing Cygwin so
that's one advantage of your approach.  I will admit, however, that I am
no expert at building MSI installers so I can't make suggestions of
alternative ways to structure an MSI install to leverage Cygwin installer
and install other software as well.

--
Larry