Re: Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

On Jan 22 01:02, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:02:41PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> >On 1/21/2014 7:44 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> >> Alternate idea:
> >>
> >> If all of the changes requested on the previous screen are "Uninstall" (i.e.
> >> everything else is "Keep" or "Skip"), invert the current dependency tree
> >> walking logic.  That is, have setup.exe find out which packages must be
> >> removed to satisfy the changes requested on the previous screen.
> >>
> >> "Look, buddy, if you remove that package, I gotta remove these 84 other
> >> packages, too: {foo, bar, baz...}  Are you really really sure you want me to
> >> do that?"
> >
> >Yes, this is a known limitation of the current setup source.  It falls
> >under category of http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI. After all, it sounds
> >like fun, right? ;-)
>
> I think Corinna mentioned that she was going to get to this next
> Thursday or possibly I'm misremembering and she was going to complete
> work on an AI which passed the Turing Test.  I can't, for the life of
> me, remember which it was.  Or maybe she was going to get help her
> neighbor shampoo their cat?  That may have been it.

Actually I'm working on a method to get rid of /etc/passwd and
/etc/group.  I have a partially working implementation now, which
generates passwd and group entries by fetching the infos from Windows on
the fly, compatible to the uids/gids and user/group names to
SFU/Interix.

It's already working nicely, but it's still lacking if you try to do
stuff like chmod or chown or, FWIW, ssh into the machine.  It's still a
lot to do.

Corinna

Red Hat