Re: AdminCygwin Release

On 1/22/2014 12:43 PM, BGINFO4X wrote:
-> Larry wrote:

Certainly this would have the potential to interfere with any existing
Cygwin installation.

I have read that you can have more than one installation of cywgin in
a single machine...

Yes, if it is managed properly.  If not, bad things can still happen
which will most likely lead to confusion and questions, most probably
directed to this list.  This leads to another aspect you would have to take
into account with your distribution - how will you support it and how
will your users know to consult your support avenues rather than the
ones available at cygwin.com?

Basically, the main idea is:

1- Fast installation of the package (msi). Can be also installed
massively via Active Directory or specialized programs.

OK, I'll take your word that your MSI package is "better" in this
respect.

2- Fast administration of a windows machine once installed.

Is there really a difference in usage once you've installed?  Seems to
me there should be no difference but I don't know what the particulars are that you're thinking of.

No, no difference should be there. Once installed It will be a "normal
cygwin installation".

The idea of the release is to have a "packaged bash", so Windows
administrators can start to play on it.

3- Base platform for integration with other programs, like BGINFO4X or
others.

Again, it's not clear to me how the mechanism for installing Cygwin affects
this, unless you see your MSI as growing to encompass these other programs
as well.  If so, then your MSI has a value beyond installing Cygwin so
that's one advantage of your approach.  I will admit, however, that I am
no expert at building MSI installers so I can't make suggestions of
alternative ways to structure an MSI install to leverage Cygwin installer
and install other software as well.

Yes, this is an option: create a bundle with differnt MSIs
(AdminCygwin.MSI + BGINFO4X.msi),

Nowadays , what I do is: install MSYS + install BGINFO4X -> create BGINFO4X.msi.

What I'm trying is to substitute MSYS by CYWGIN ...

... and I thought: why don't create a "base AdminCygwin package"? I
have practically all the work done ...

So what I will try is:
create AdminCygwin.MSI -> install AdminCygwin.MSI -> install BGINFO4X
inside "AdminCygwin" -> create a new BGINFO4X.msi.

I hope that you understand me. English is not my native language.

Yes, I understand you fine, thanks.  So it sounds like you're mostly
interested in providing bash and other default Cygwin utilities to
admins.  In addition, you want to give them BGINFO4X.  From looking at
BGINFO4X at the SF site, it looks like another viable option would be to
create a BGINFO4X package for Cygwin.  Then there would be no conflict with
existing or future installs of Cygwin, the install and upgrade mechanism
would always be the same (setup*.exe), it would be a supported package
within this forum (through you), and you could even provide a separate
install script leveraging setup*.exe to install only the packages you want
to promote (through your own site) if you want.  See the link below
if you're interested in exploring this option in more detail:

<http://cygwin.com/setup.html>

I think this approach would allow you to reach the goals you stated above
and fits in with the normal Cygwin infrastructure, making things easier
for everyone.

--
Larry