Re: Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

On Jan 23 11:01, Thrall, Bryan wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote on 2014-01-22:
> > Actually I'm working on a method to get rid of /etc/passwd and
> > /etc/group.  I have a partially working implementation now, which
> > generates passwd and group entries by fetching the infos from Windows on
> > the fly, compatible to the uids/gids and user/group names to SFU/Interix.
>
> That's a really cool change. How will I customize my Cygwin user name (for convenient 'ssh server' instead of 'ssh user@server') and shell without /etc/passwd, though? (I'd include home directory in that list, except I know I can just set $HOME)

The idea is that local /etc/passwd and /etc/group file takes precedence.
If you have passwd and group entries matching your SIDs, Cygwin won't
ask Windows for them.

The bigger picture is to allow system admins to set this up via AD.  The
easiest (and home-user friendliest) way is to utilize the description
and homedir fields in the AD or local SAM user entries to configure
another username, the shell, and the homedir.

As far as AD is concerned, I'm mulling over the idea to fetch the
information for all this from the UNIX attributes, but that requires to
access AD via ADSI, afaik, so it's something for later.  I'm also not
quite sure if the UNIX attributes are only available after installing
the "Identity Management for UNIX" role on the server...

Corinna

Red Hat