Re: get rid of getpwent? (Was: cygwin-1.7.28 getpwent header declaration changes ?)

On Feb  7 10:51, Warren Young wrote:
> On 2/7/2014 06:53, David Stacey wrote:
> >>Try this:  strings -f/bin/*.exe/bin/*.dll | grep getgrent
> >
> >Let me save you the trouble of reinstalling it
>
> Thank you!
>
> > Results attached.
>
> The cppcheck, cygqscintilla*.dll and nedit results are bogus. (i.e.
> They contain these strings for other reasons.)  Here's a better
> check that doesn't give false positives:
>
>     $ cat <<END > checkfile
>     #!/bin/sh
>     if egrep -q '_getgrent(32|64)' "$1" ; then echo $1 ; fi
>     END
>     $ find /bin -name \*.exe -exec ./checkfile {} \;
>
> cygperl*.dll includes the functions only because it wraps them.  I
> assume Perl's configuration script is smart enough to cope if
> they're missing.

Just to clarify:  The entry points won't go away, but they might be
*sort of* non-functional.  They will, for a start, only enumerate
the accounts which are cached in the process, which may be only
two (current user and her primary group), or none at all.

> Emacs...why am I not surprised that it uses these old functions?
>
> Vim does not, therefore Vim is the superior text editor.  (I kid.)

You dont ;)

Corinna

Red Hat