Re: Invoking Cygwin vim from Windows Explorer

On 2/9/2014 2:07 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, carolus!

Is there some configuration that will let me open a text file in Cygwin
vim by clicking on the file in an Explorer window?

If there is no simple answer, let's just drop the subject.  I'll
continue to open cygwin and cd to the target directory whenever I want
to open a file in vim and happen to be in Explorer.

As I said, there's like five different answers. Depends on what you actually
want to do.

To clarify: In Cygwin folders I routinely use vim for all text files, and in Windows folders I routinely use Wordpad for only those text files with extension .txt. For files in a Windows folder that have extension .f or .sh or no extension at all, I would like to open those with vim in a Cygwin terminal. Currently I'm doing this by going into cygwin and manually changing directories, but there must be a better way.

The suggestion by Anton Lavrentiev appears to accomplish this, but without enough detail for me to implement given my limited understanding of Windows.

I.e. just make an association to open a file with vi(m). In a usual Windows way.

The only "usual Windows way" I know is for windows executables. I want to use the Cygwin console application, which I am used to, and not to install the native Windows gvim. Googling shows lots of discussion of how to use the windows native executable with Cygwin, but not the reverse.

But since you're changing subject back and forth, it's hard to help you.

Well, I can see one change: originally I failed to state that I wanted the selection of vim to be optional. Lavrentiev's proposal, which would do exactly that, reminded me.