Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

On Feb 13 09:48, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > For as long as Cygwin has existed, it has stored user and group
> > information in /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.  Under the assumption
> > that these files would never be too large, the first process in a
> > process tree, as well as every execing process within the tree would
> > parse them into structures in memory.  Thus every Cygwin process would
> > contain an expanded copy of the full information from /etc/passwd and
> > /etc/group.
>
> Stellar writeup! I read the whole post. I am happy to help, but I have couple of
> questions
>
> - How will this affect "normal" users, that is to say one admin user on one
>   computer with no domain or networking? Will it be better to use this new
>   system or keep /etc/passwd?

That should have been clear from the writeup.  Just continue to use
/etc/passwd and /etc/group if you're not comfortable to change your
local SAM.  But my mail also contains examples how to change your SAM
entry from the CMD or bach command line.

> - Do you have any benchmarks available? Or instructions on how we could test the
>   speed of the new system?

Nope.  Try something time-consuming you're doing every day under
time(1), I guess.  Building some project or so.  But first get
comfortable with the new output of `id' and `ls -l' in some
environments.  I'm all for performance, but functionality first, please.

Corinna

Red Hat