Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

On Feb 14 16:23, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> >> I know I'm bikeshedding, but "unix" seems like a pretty vague
> >> attribute name here.
> >>
> >>     unix="good" ?
> >>     unix="linux" ?
> >>     unix="yesplease" ?
> >>
> >> I'd be happier with "uid" or similar.
> >>
> >> Write it in a sentence:
> >>
> >> a. My uid is 502; vs
> >> b. My unix is 502.
>
> > Would you believe me that I sweated about this, too?  The important
> > thing to consider is, the keyword should not give the impression, that
> > the uid or gid set at this point is the Cygwin uid or gid.  It's only
> > the uid/gid of your NFS or Samba account on that weird Linux box.
>
> > Really, I'm open to suggestions to have a better keyword, but it
> > should make very clear that this is not your Cygwin uid/gid.
>
> nfsUid/-Gid
> Since it is almost exclusively used to talk to NFS servers.

Except when it's used for Samba shares, which is more likely than NFS,
given that the NFS client is restricted to the Enterprise version of
Windows since Windows 8.  I asked twice to change that *at least* to the
professional version, but Microsoft simply doesn't care, despite NFS
being much faster than SMB.  Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I would prefer a keyword in all lowercase, btw.  I would also prefer a
keyword without underscore.  And I would prefer a keyword which can be
used for user and group entries because that simplifies the code.  And
I would prefer golden or platinum framed letters...

  nfsuid/nfsgid
  nfsid
  unixuid/unixgid
  unixid
  unix_id
  [...to be continued...]

> >> If true, I realize cron.exe and any programs it runs will continue
> >> to believe there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf until *it* restarts.
>
> > You are absolutely right, but, please, suggest a better wording.
> > This is what I'm trying to explain in fact, but everything I came
> > up with sounded like beating around the bush, more confusing than
> > helping.
>
> "...each relevant Cygwin process tree needs to be restarted to catch up"?
> Something along these lines.

Yes, something along these lines.

Corinna

Red Hat