Re: xargs: Broken in version 1.7.28; works in legacy version 1.7.7-1

On 2/19/2014 6:48 AM, Kai Tischler wrote:
My OS: Win XP Pro SP3
My XEmacs: 21.4.19

My original problem:
- I had upgraded to the latest CygWin version 1.7.28
- XEmacs hangs at startup; because an xargs process hangs
- Furthermore, xargs does not seem to work properly in the shell

At first I thought that XEmacs shouldn't invoke an xargs process at all
at  startup; but investigation showed: An xargs process IS invoked at XEmacs
startup for ages ... So something had to be probably "im Argen (wrong)" with
the latest xargs version.

I then went back in time using the CygWin Time Machine; and installed
the  legacy version 1.7.7-1; and voila: Everything xargs-related seems to run
like a charm again.

My conclusion is: Somewhere between the legacy version 1.7.7-1 and the
latest version 1.7.28, the behaviour of xargs has changed for the worse.

Some further remark: I have gone back to the legacy version 1.7.7-1 by
chance; of course I cannot try out each and every legacy version before the
latest.

Does the following work (i.e. not hang) for you with 1.7.28?

find /bin -type f | xargs ls -l

This works fine for me with the cygwin package versions 1.7.25, 1.7.27, and
1.7.28.  If that works for you too in 1.7.28 but you still see a problem
with xargs and XEmacs, then I would say there's an interaction issue there
somewhere.

--
Larry