Re: Octave package database update

On 26/02/2014 14:26, Jonas.Hagen@metas.ch wrote:
Hello,

I installed the octave package in Cygwin. This works well.

But when I install octave-signal and other octave packages,
They are not found by octave. At start, octave gives an error:
error: save: unable to open output file '/usr/share/octave/octave_packages'
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 498, column 9
error:   /usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc at line 22, column 3

This is apparently a permission issue and I have to login
as Administrator and start octave from there each time I
install a new package.

correct. Same when you remove one

Shouldn't  the package database update be done at
installation time of the package from the Cygwin setup,
rather than on every start of octave?
The setup has the right privileges to do so. Also, this would
make octave to start faster.

unfortunately it will create more problem than current solution, and the boot check is very fast.

Current solution checks if the package database is older that the
package directory and only in that case update the database.
Drawback you need the setup permission.

See
/usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc

If I put the update script on every forge package, and you
install 10 (or 50 packages) it will require to start for every package
octave, update the database and close.
Doing so, the she setup could be very slow and it could likely fail
for fork issue as octave is very large and need to lot a lot of directories.

Worst if you remove everything the post install script could try to run
without octave and failing all the time.

Could you check if changing permission with

chmod 666 /usr/share/octave/octave_packages

the situation improve ?

Best regards,
Jonas

System Information:
Windows 7
GNU Octave Version 3.8.0
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 1.7.28(0.271/5/3) 2014-02-09 21:06 x86_64

REgards
Marco