Re: directory troubles

On 3/25/2014 12:49 PM, Richard wrote:

Hi Folks,

...I have for more than ten years used links in specific directories as a
strategy of managing disk space, distinguishing between remote (NFS / Samba)
from local, and I've applied the same strategy to help in keeping my linux
and Cygwin installations as similar as possible. Now, something has gone
wrong on one system and I'm perplexed - I'm pretty darned sure it was
working "last time I checked!"

Consider /d for local disk mounts, /nfs for remote disk mounts and /l for
"local use" which links into trees wherever. In this case, /d and /l were
broken, but the nfs directory and its mounts seem to be unaffected.

This morning I went to /opt which ordinarily translates to /l/opt (which
itself translates to /d/c/opt or /d/b/opt), but Cygwin's Bash shell wouldn't
go there. I got:

-bash: cd: /opt: No such file or directory

Investigating, ls showed the directories /d and /l, but I couldn't cd into
them. ls -l showed simply:

ls: cannot access d: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access l: No such file or directory
d??????????  ? ?       ?                   ?            ? d
d??????????  ? ?       ?                   ?            ? l

Since these directories only contain links, I decided to remove them and
make them anew. Oops! That didn't work! When Cygwin decided it wasn't going
to delete them, I first tried a cmd window, but it complained the
directories weren't empty. When I "got inside" them, I found only . and ..
as subdirectories - again, as reported by cmd. There was no removing those,
either. So, I used an Explorer window. It permitted me to see the link names
- all looked good - and it worked at deleting them - at least, they no
longer show up from either Windows or Cygwin tools.

But when I try and recreate them, I get:

mkdir: cannot create directory `d': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `l': No such file or directory

-frown- Not sure what to do next, I tried creating them from the same
Windows explorer window I used to delete them, but it says, "Unable to
create the folder 'New Folder' Access is denied."

This is on "corporate edition XP 64 bit" - I am the administrator but there
is a different "Administrator" account for which I don't know the password
(never remember even setting the administrator password from the first
installation)! On this version there isn't a "run as administrator", only a
"run as", and since I don't know the password, I can't use the administrator
account directly unless I figure out how to deal with the password. I also
have tried (of course) unchecking the box about limiting privileges, but
that didn't help either.

Normally I'd just ignore this and work around it somehow, but these
directories are pretty critical to the whole file system management
strategy, so it'd be nice to not have to reinstall everything - reinstalling
cygwin is among the most painful processes I can imagine as it virtually
never works right the first time out and is possibly a multi-day process.
Beyond that, any and all insights on where I went wrong, etc, etc, are very
much appreciated.

I'd recommend first rebooting and, if that doesn't solve it, do a chkdsk.

--
Larry