Re: Request for Junctions be treated consistently

On Mar 29 05:53, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Linda Walsh wrote:
> >If you use the 'mountvol' you a *local* root folder
> >mounted at some drive letter that can be maintained over
> >boots. is listed as a JUNCTION and treated by cygwin
> >as a regular dir.
> >
> >For some reason the other type of directory hookup made
> >by "linkd" which also created a JUNKTION
> >vs. (mklink creating a SYMLINK or SYMLINKD) is shown
> >as a soft-pointer .
> ---- hit send instead of save...Sigh...
>
> What I would like to see is restoring the native
> directory look to 'linkd' so that it could be use as
> a weaker sybling of linux's 'bind' command. Since there is no way to
> namespaces or have symlinks
> honored with out this, I would really be beneficial to not have
> those lumped in with SYMLINKs, as they are really JUNCTIONS.
>
> So could it be seen by cygwin as a dir and not a symlink.
>
> Ideal cygwin would be able to tell there was a 'mount' there, but
> symlinks are just walked all over these days..

If you create a directory junction to an existing dir and treat it as
directory, the directory shows up twice under the same device number.
Find or tar will enumerate (and archive) the dir twice.

A mount junction is typically used to mount devices.  The mount point
will be visible because the device number changes at the mount dir.

Corinna

Red Hat