Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:20:59PM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>It is a little known fact that one of Corinna's early messages was
>>actually a suggestion.  I suggested to *her* that a patch would be
>>considered.  She took that as a challenge and provided a patch.
>>Apparently Corinna is quite unique (we all know that now), at least as
>>far as the Cygwin ecosphere is concerned.
>
>I would like to contribute, but the current system sucks, to be frank.

The problem with being frank is that you stand the chance of looking
uninformed if you didn't do some basic research.

>As far as I can tell this is the current repo
>
>http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/?cvsroot=src

That's the web representation of the Cygwin CVS tree.  If you don't know
how to translate that into a cvs command you shouldn't bother.

>but then you can also find this
>
>  http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi

cygwin.com == sourceware.org == gcc.gnu.org.  You're looking at the
top-level (mostly unused these days) CVS repo for sourceware.org.  That
contains the Cygwin CVS repository but it isn't the right way to get
the information for checking out Cygwin.

Instructions on how to check out the source are available at the cygwin web
site, just like they are at every open source site.  Go to the cygwin web
page and look to the left.  You'll see "Contributing" and "Source in CVS".
Both lead you to instructions.  "Contributing" is intended to help with
providing patches.  "Source in CVS" is obvious.

Yes, I know.  Git is better than CVS.

cgf