Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:02:46PM -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I'll once again point out that gdb, binutils, and gcc seem to get by
>> just fine without this.  And, maybe I missed something, but I don't see
>> search on sourceforge.net either.  Given that, I don't see how this can
>> be a huge barrier to entry.
>
>Noted. However this is an irrelevant conclusion. The fact that they are
>successful does not mean Cygwin wont benefit from a search function.

You clipped the part where I said "I'll see what I can do" and then offered
a followup as to why it may not be a good idea to have a search function.

I didn't say that a search function wouldn't be useful.  I said that it
can't be a huge barrier to entry given the fact that many popular
projects don't have that kind of functionality.

>On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Warren Young wrote:
>> If you think web code repository searching and a public bug tracker are
>> primary barriers to contribution, you aren't being honest with yourself.
>> They are nice, but not necessary.
>
>I am honest with myself. I, as everyone have limited time. I will not waste my
>time with an archaic system and maintainers who fail to see the light of day
>when there are better ways I can spend my time, example
>
>  http://github.com/stars/svnpenn

It's possible that a site like github has more bandwidth and compute
power than sourceware.org and doesn't have to worry about bogging down
the system with malicious search attacks.  We, unfortunately, do.  So,
while it is possible to turn on searches, it seems like I'd have to
personally take some time to fixing the viewvc code to mitigate any
damage from using searches.  That is more effort than I'm willing to go
to on one person's claim that this functionality is vitally necessary.

cgf