Re: Still testing needed: New passwd/group AD/SAM integration

On 4/10/2014 09:28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

The only reason I dislike backslash a bit is, that the backslash is
the escape char in the shell, so you would have remember every time
you type in such an account name to escape the account name,
DOMAIN\\username or "DOMAIN\username"

Is this DOMAIN\username syntax merely mimicking a Windowsism, or does it directly translate into a semantically meaningful construct to Windows? I mean, do you have to parse it and reassemble the data for Windows' benefit, or do you pass this string straight to some Windows API?

If cygwin1.dll must premasticate the string for Windows' benefit, you can use any separator character you like. In that case, I'd think forward slash makes more sense, since it says, "This works like POSIX paths: cygwin1.dll is translating this to something else for you behind the scenes." Backslash signals that what you're doing is something Windows understands natively.

As for your original question, I can't see why you'd need it to be configurable as long as it's escapable. If you can escape the delimiter, then you can hardcode it to anything you like, since there's a path out of any conflict.