Re: Still testing needed: New passwd/group AD/SAM integration

On Apr 10 21:46, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > * cygserver now provides system-wide passwd/group entry caching.
> >
> >   All processes started *after* cygserver will try to fetch passwd
> >   and group entries from cygserver.  While this is probably a bit
> >   slow at the start, the longer cygserver runs, the more information
> >   is present and later started processes will get the information
> >   with all due speed.
>
> Does this mean there is no caching without cygserver running?

Huh?  I really didn't expect this question.  Of course the in-process
caching is still present.  Read the new chapter called "Caching" in the
document I attached to my OP.  Or, even better, I just quote it here,
for your convenience:

=======
Caching
=======

The information fetched from file or the Windows account database is cached
by the process.  The cached information is inherited by child processes.

While usually working fine, this has some drawbacks.  Consider a shell
calling `id'.  `id' fetches all group information from the current token
and caches them.  Unfortunately `id' doesn't start any child processes,
so the information is lost as soon as `id' exits.

But there's another caching mechanism available.  If cygserver is
running it will provide passwd and group entry caching for all processes
in a Cygwin process tree, which first process has been started after
cygserver.  So, if you start a Cygwin Terminal and cygserver is
running at the time, mintty, the shell, and all child processes will
use cygserver caching.  If you start a Cygwin Terminal and cygserver is
not running a the time, none of the processes started inside this
terminal window will use cygserver caching.

The advantage of cygserver caching is that it's system-wide and, as long
as cygserver is running, unforgetful.  Every Cygwin process on the system
will have the cygserver cache at its service.  Additionally, all information
requested from cygserver once, will be cached inside the process itself
and, again, propagated to child processes.

> > * db_separator in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> I can't see a pressing need for configurable separators here.  Domain
> users are probably already accustomed to seeing Domain\User, so that'd
> be a natural default unless somebody had a pretty good reason for
> something different.

Eric's mail on this is pretty enlightening.

Corinna

Red Hat