Re: Microsoft Accounts (was Re: Problem with "None" Group on Non-Domain Members)

On May  7 10:09, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >And here's a problem which I'm not sure how to solve at all:
> >
> >When calling the latest mkpasswd, the primary group of the local
> >user account backing the Microsoft Account will *still* be "None".
> >
> >The reason is that the local account is just the same old account
> >as usual.  Its default primary group *is* "None".
> >
> >Only when logging in via the Micosoft Account email address, the
> >user token will not reflect what's stored in the local SAM, but
> >will have been changed by the OS as outlined in this thread.
> >
> >So, when a user decides to create a passwd file rather than using
> >the SAM/DB code in Cygwin, the information generated by mkpasswd
> >will not match the user token, and the primary group stored in
> >/etc/passwd will not even be available at all in the user token.
> >
> >I have not the faintest idea how to workaround this schizophrenia.
> >

> >Corinna
> >
> Oh wow. It took me two reads of this to understand it. Caffeine is
> finally kicking in, I guess. Unless you just want to hard code the
> primary group that mkpasswd generates to "Users" for any account
> that it would tend to want to set as "None". That would be some
> smelly code though.

Hmm, but it might fix a couple of problems.  If we go ahead and
always convert the "None" primary group to "Users", we'd have a
pretty stable state, which works nicely for local accounts,
independently of habving logged in as normal account or as Microsoft
Account.  This might be the easiest workaound, in fact.

Corinna

Red Hat