Re: Does /etc/profile need to set MANPATH?

On May 14 18:52, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > Yes, this might be better discussed in cygwin-apps.  I guess the setting
> > of MANPATH is mainly historical.
>
> I'd be happy to not set MANPATH in /etc/profile if we no longer need it
> for the standard installation.

I'm wondering if setting MANPATH was really ever required for the old
man either.  In a tcsh environment, MANPATH is not set by default.
If you install the openssl package, MANPATH is set like this (in
/etc/profile.d/openssh.csh):

  if ( ! $?MANPATH ) setenv MANPATH ""
  setenv MANPATH "${MANPATH}:/usr/ssl/man"

which results in:

  $ echo $MANPATH
  :/usr/ssl/man

I have neither problems to see the man pages in the default paths nor
problems to see the openssl man pages.

Corinna

Red Hat