Re: emacs oddity

Markus Hoenicka writes:
 > Am 2014-05-21 13:46, schrieb Ken Brown:
 > > On 5/21/2014 3:13 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
 > >> At 2014-05-21 03:42, Ken Brown was heard to say:

 > >> Hi,
 > >>
 > >> I haven't followed this thread in all its gory details, but I recall
 > >> that only emacs-w32 was reported to have problems. I have noticed
 > >> random
 > >> crashes and weird messages without prior user actions in emacs-x11
 > >> since
 > >> I moved from WinXP + Cygwin x86 to Win7 + Cygwin x86_64 a few weeks
 > >> ago.
 > >> None of these problems ever occurred on either FreeBSD (amd64, Emacs
 > >> 24)
 > >> or Debian (amd64, Emacs 23). I just thought I'd mention this because
 > >> the
 > >> problem does not seem to be limited to the -w32 build of Emacs. I've
 > >> preserved the odd messages on three separate occasions:
 > >>
 > >> Args out of range: [t 21335 39727 373923 0.5
 > >> blink-cursor-timer-function
 > >> nil nil 100000], 4
 > >>
 > >> Invalid function: #[(timer) "^H >^H
 > >> \"^R^L\206^_^@^K*\207" [timer timer-list timer-idle-list cell2 cell1
 > >> delq] 4 2245674]
 > >>
 > >> timer-relative-time: Wrong type argument: vectorp, [t1 time high low
 > >> micro pico nil 3 0 2 ...]
 > >>
 > >> All of them indicate timer related problems as Max pointed out. I do
 > >> not
 > >> have meaningful backtraces of the crashes at this time because the
 > >> installed emacs-x11 seems to lack debug symbols.
 > >
 > > You have to install emacs-debuginfo in order to get the symbols.
 > >

 > Thanks, I've installed it now just in case. Until now, no crashes or
 > weird messages with emacs-X11-24.3.90-1 yet...
 >
 > regards,
 > Markus

Hi,

I've been testing emacs-X11-24.3.90-1 for more than two weeks now, and
this is what happened:

- a few hours after I claimed that there were no problems with this
  version yet (see above), Emacs crashed again.

- I used to start Emacs from gdb for about two weeks, hoping to catch it
  red-handed. No problems occurred

- I reverted to starting Emacs as I had done for years (through
  startxwin), but I've set up the CYGWIN environment variable to
  create true core dumps. A couple of days later Emacs crashed again
  and left a core dump. I've sent that along with a problem
  description to bug-gnu-emacs AT gnu.org:

This basically means that the current test release is a major
improvement although it did not eliminate crashes altogether. As I do
not have any core dumps of the previous Emacs version, I can't even
tell whether or not the same bugs are involved.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka