Re: New Version 1.7.30-1: Passwd -R option. Can only update logged in user.

On Jun  4 05:06, Thomas Fay wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   Recently there was an update to the passwd -R feature in   1.7.30-1
>   which allows you to pipe in a password to the "passwd -R". This is a
>   something that we really need and  the  update is appreciated. :)

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I can't remember that I ever
made such a change and I just checked the source code.  You are prompted
to enter the password twice on the command line and this never changed.

>   There is still an issue in that you can only update the   registry
>   for the user that is currently logged in. In previous versions (such
>   as 1.7.25), an administrator could   update for any user (although
>   the piping feature was unavailable).  In the new version 1.7.30-1,
>   when an attempt to update for   any other user an error is produced
>   stating: Storing password failed: No such file or directory.

Weird.  I tried this with the released Cygwin 1.7.30 and I can't reproduce
this issue.  When running passwd in an elevated shell, I can set and change
the password for other users just fine.

However, the error message "No such file or directory" is generated if
the user account you're trying to set the setuid password for doesn't
exist in the passwd DB.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat