Re: Question on gcc install

Win7
gcc 4.8.3
Netbeans 7.4

Hi Csaba;

I used setup.exe.

The issue and confusion arise because I am using the Netbeans IDE, and
Netbeans requires explicit reference to the gcc, g++, fortran compilers and
assembler being used. I am running into difficulties.

1: mingw fails to link correctly. Hundreds if not thousands of linker
errors.
2: the gcc -m32 option fails (cross-posted to gcc.gnu.org).
3: The relationship between executables and directories is not understood.
4: The pairing of executables is not well understood, especially those with
version numbers on them.

For point (4) there are executables with appended version numbers for gcc
but there are no similarly appended version numbers to g++ and fortran. My
guess is that the version numbers specify the supported version for the
prefixed executables (see below).
	i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.2.exe
	i686-pc-mingw32-gcc-4.7.3.exe
	i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.8.2.exe
	x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3.exe
	x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.8.2.exe

In a much similar fashion I don't understand the relationship between the
different gcc/g++/fortran/as prefixes, and I don't know what documents
identify usages. Are they gcc or cygwin documents.
	i686-pc-cygwin
	i686-pc-mingw32
	i686-w64-mingw32
	x86_64-pc-cygwin
	x86_64-w64-mingw32

The directory structures point (3) are completely mystifying. I can
understand the /usr/lib/gcc directories but am completely mystified by the
/usr directories.

	/usr/					/usr/lib/gcc
		i686-pc-cygwin				i686-pc-cygwin
		i686-pc-mingw32				i686-pc-mingw32
		i686-w64-mingw32
i686-w64-mingw32
		x86_64-w64-mingw32			x86_64-pc-cygwin

x86_64-w64-mingw32

For one, there seems to be too few /usr/ directories in comparison to the
prefixes. For another, only one of the directories contain support for gcc
vrs. 4.8.3 (x86_64-pc-cygwin). The remainder of the support is mostly for
gcc vrs. 4.8.2. So whatever the directories do, their support is
inconsistent, i.e., they all don't support the downloaded gcc version
(4.8.3) and their support is not consistent for gcc vrs. 4.8.2.

	/usr/lib/gcc/
		i686-pc-cygwin		4.8.2
		i686-pc-mingw32		4.7.3
		i686-w64-mingw32		4.8.2
		x86_64-pc-cygwin		4.8.3
		x86_64-w64-mingw32	4.8.2

So I don't know how to setup Netbeans and I don't know what I have. I
downloaded gcc 4.8.3 and I seem to have only 1 of 5 systems with 4.8.3, the
rest being 4.8.2 or 4.7.3. I don't understand the difference between, e.g.,
x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe and x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3.exe. My guess is
that there is no difference between the versioned and unversioned
executables and that the gcc vrs. 4.8.3 downloads only included the
x86_64-pc-cygwin compiler. And of course, the gcc.exe file, the
x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe, and the x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3.exe would all
be the same if my guesses are correct.

In any case, anything you can do to clarify would be appreciated (include
the statement, "read to --- book").
art