Re: timeout in LDAP access

On Jun 18 10:33, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 18 00:41, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> > On 2014-06-17 12:00, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if the timeout, at least for enumerating accounts, should
> > > go away entirely.  In case of a connection problem this could result in
> > > a hang for about 2 minutes by default I think (LDAP_OPT_PING_LIMIT).
> > I think i like this (it it works). But in this case, it will not resume
> > to the next domain, and the whole operation (eg getent) is interrupted?
>
> I don't quite understand the question.  All LDAP operations have a
> default timeout of 2 minutes if LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT is not set.  The
> operations we're doing here are pretty simple ones, the bunch of 100
> SIDs per getpwent LDAP call is a really small dataset (about 4K bytes)
> of indexed data, which should be readily available.  And there's a
> certain (not Cygwin-specific) expectation that a simple LDAP operation
> is fast.
>
> Assuming the server takes more than just 3 seconds to reply to
> a single request for some reason, let's say 30 seconds.  The call will
> result in a laming output of getent, of course, but it would have no
> other consequences.  If the server needs actually more than two minutes
> to reply, and doesn't return a ping either, the timeout is a very likely
> indication that we have network problems, or the server is down.
> In that case, the normal code path applies.  The connection with the
> server will be closed and we try the next domain.
>
> The idea I was proposing was just to drop all attempts to seconds guess
> how fast a DC replies.  We're going to use LDAP with default settings
> and that's it.  Default settings means, every operation times out after
> the default timeout period of 120 seconds, which should really be
> sufficient.

I'm not quite sure I understand the effect of all the timeout values in
LDAP entirely correctly and the API documentation leaves quite a bit to
be desired.

For the time being I raised the timeout to 30 seconds, and colons in
the gecos field are converted to semicolons.  I uploaded a new developer
snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/  Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat