Re: No glibc in cygwin

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:03:52PM +0000, Lucero, Aldo wrote:
>I am trying to port some Fortran/C code from Linux to Windows using
>Cygwin (CYGWIN_NT-6.1 elp-w7wks-40 1.7.30(0.272/5/3) 2014-05-23 10:36
>i686 Cygwin) The main program spawns several processes using fork() and
>one of those processes will create another process using clone().  I
>have read under the FAQ that glibc is not part of Cygwin and that using
>fork in Cygwin is not stable.

fork() in Cygwin has to be pretty stable since it is fundamental to a
UNIX/Linux system.  Cygwin doesn't implement "clone()" however.  It is
theoretically possible to do so but it wouldn't be trivial.

>I have been able to compile my code in Cygwin, but when trying to link
>my libraries (static), it cannot find clone function (under C code).
>Do you guys have any recommendations as far as whether to continue
>trying to get my code to work under Cygwin or should I try to find some
>other Windows compiler(s)?  I apologize if I am not being clear, but I
>am wondering if somebody else has had this issue and if they were able
>to resolve it.

This isn't a compiler issue.  You'd have to find something similar to
Cygwin which implemented clone().  Or add the functionality yourself.

cgf