Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: windows-default-manifest-6.3-1

On 25/06/2014 10:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Hi folks,

I just uploaded windows-default-manifest-6.3-1.

This new package contains nothing but a default application
compatibility manifest, which gets linked in by GCC by default, and
which is supposed to claim compatibility with the latest Windows
versions available at the time.

Adding such a manifest got necessary due to a change in Windows 8.1.  On
earlier OS versions, applications without manifest were treated as
compatible with the current OS.  Starting with Windows 8.1, an
executable without manifest is treated as being compatible only with the
oldest supported OS version of the OS compatibility layer.

That means, all applications without manifest are running in a Window
Vista compatibility layer on Windows 8.1.  This affects all Cygwin
executables to date.  By adding the default manifest to newly built
packages, we're slowly getting to run our executables with full OS
compatibility.

Does this mean we should rebuilt all the application to
make W8.1 happy ?

Grrr ....

Live long and prosper,
Corinna