Link count wierdness

I have come across an interesting problem with the link count on a
NetApp volume(*).  While hardlinks can be created just fine and work as
you'd expect (changing one file changes all the linked files), the link
count that gets reported for each of the linked files is always 1.  ONe
of those NetApp volumes is my home directory and it breaks GNU parallel,
which uses the link count as a semaphore.  Is this a bug in how Cygwin
handles these volumes or a problem in how they are set up or something
entirely else?

(*) df also doesn't show anything on these volumes, but that has been
reported before.  Windows reports them as CIFS or NTFS, depending on
where you look.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: