Re: Unable to uninstall python 2.7 via the Cygwin setup program

On 07/28/2014 12:01 AM, Andrew Scott wrote:
Hi.

I am running Cygwin 64-bit on Windows 7 and had installed the
following packages using the Cygwin Setup program (v2.850 64 bit):
   python
   python-openssl
   python-setuptools
   python-tkinter
   python3
   python3-openssl
   python3-tkinter
I then tried to uninstall them using the same tool, and while I could
uninstall all the python3 packages, I couldn't uninstall python and
python-tkinter. When I tried to uninstall one, it would pop up an
error about the other being a dependency, and the same sort of thing
happened when I tried to uninstall both. As a result, I can't get rid
of python.

Does this make sense? I'm hoping someone can suggest a simple fix.

This is a known limitation of setup*.exe.  Its dependency checking is
focused on installing, not uninstalling.  As a result, you can sometimes
get into a dependency loop like this when you're trying to uninstall.
For now, there is no solution using setup*.exe.  You can, however, remove
the files from the packages you don't want by hand by using the list of
files it installed as returned by *cygcheck -l <package name>*.  That
should take care of the majority of what was done in the installation,
if not all of it.

--
Larry