Please test AD integration changes, documentation attached (was Re: timeout in LDAP access)

On Jul 28 20:51, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> On 2014-07-28 11:21, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Ping?
> >
> > On Jul 18 21:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>
> >> We really should do that to avoid collisions with system accounts, IMHO.
> >>
> >> But maybe we should handle it as a border case of a border case, and
> >> reliably.  Rather than using the default fake mechanism, what if
> >> we use default offsets for the two cases:
> >>
> >> Case 1: posix offset is < 0x100000  ==> Enforce posix 0ffset 0xfe80000
> >> Case 2: posix offset can't be fetched (this points to a local user
> >>        having no access to this kind of domain information)
> >> 	==> Enforce posix offset 0xfe000000.
> >>
> >> This would result in potential collisions in very rare border cases,
> >> but it would result in reliable mappings throught all processes.
> >> And, the complexity would be quite small.
> >
> > any feedback on this one?  Shall I create a snapshot with a matching
> > patch?
> I have nothing to add except that i am a great fan of cygwin snapshots in
> general, and i suppose that if several posix offsets are set to 0, it is
> a minor problem if all of them get replaced by the same 0xfe80000.

I chose even more unlikely offsets 0xfea00000 and 0xfe500000, but
otherwise, the 2014-07-29 snapshot I just uploaded implements the above
method, see http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

I also described this briefly in my preliminary documentation (attached),
which, I fear, it's time to merge into the official docs.

I'm inclined to create a new official Cygwin version with the AD
integration changes pretty soon.  There seem to be no other way to get
more feedback on these changes :|

Corinna

Red Hat