Re: Package file lists archive

On Thu, 2014-08-07 at 22:59 -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > If you wish to continue participating in this forum, then cease these
> > attacks immediately.
>
> Thank you for the reply, I will heed this going forward.

Thank you.

> However, do you have any input regarding the topic?

It is somewhat of a known issue; cygcheck -p sometimes times out for me
too, and AFAIK the cause is package-grep.cgi being too slow.  Some of
that might depend on how busy sourceware is at that moment; the fact
that repeat attempts are faster makes me think that is a result of
caching.

Given that we're still working on getting all the infrastructure tasks
under control, optimizing package-grep.cgi would be the only short term
solution; once again, PTC.

In the long term, if were going to drastically change the package
database, IMO it should be in a way that would be used by the website,
cygcheck, and setup*.exe.  A sqlite database comes to mind (as yum uses
one); there are already mingw*-sqlite packages in Ports, and the website
could use DBI and DBD::sqlite.  This is *really* in the realm of PTC
though.

Yaakov