Re: Windows 7 sshd can only login as cyg_server

<snip>

I can only make a local non-admin user.  If I use that, it is just
returning "Permission denied" after I enter the password.  I guess I'll
have to fiddle with it a little more to see if I can figure out why that
is.  But that seems tangential to the issue reported.

But your effect doesn't sound good either.

Indeed.

If I try using the cyg_server account (yuck, I feel filthy! ;-) ), I get
kicked out the same way as reported minus the message about chown.  That's
as close as I've gotten and, of course, it's exactly opposite what was
reported.

Right.  But the default setup of the cyg_server account in /etc/passwd
is to start /bin/false as login shell.  Did you change that to /bin/bash?

Right.  No I didn't.  I believe my half-finished thought was to suggest the
OP had done this to get the connection with cyg_server to work.  Don't we
have that mind-reading plugin for the list working yet?  It would help
allot. ;-)

<snip>

Indeed.  Maybe the OP has an actual file for the pseudo /dev/pty1 file?  If
so, maybe the permissions on the file are getting in the way??

That would be one good idea but I think that's not very likely.
Cygwin's device handling wouldn't notice the file and call all
the internal functions for ptys instead.  This includes chown,
which on ptys is a change of the ACL of four synchronization objects
representing the pty.

Yeah, I had experimented a little with this idea myself to see if I could
prove that this would have any effect but I couldn't (as you suggest)...

--
Larry