Re: Windows 7 sshd can only login as cyg_server

On Aug 25 12:51, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Aug 22 17:24, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

<snip>

That's what I meant.  Do you have a non-admin account for testing
a login?

I can only make a local non-admin user.  If I use that, it is just
returning "Permission denied" after I enter the password.  I guess I'll
have to fiddle with it a little more to see if I can figure out why that
is.  But that seems tangential to the issue reported.

But your effect doesn't sound good either.

Did you create a passwd entry?  I just set up a machine for testing
with a local cyg_server account, and I can login with local accounts
just fine.  It's the domain accounts which fail.  In my case bash simply
hangs for some reason I have yet to figure out.

Well I'm not sure I would expect a hang necessarily, unless it was trying
to interact with the PDC in some degenerate way.  But refusing connections
from domain user accounts in this configuration makes sense to me.
Obviously, there are more alternatives than I'm aware of here though...

Ugh!  I thought I had created a password entry for my local non-admin user
but I didn't.  Once I did that, I was able to ssh in using that user (and
password) just fine with the local cyg_server account.  So I think we
can chalk this failure up to user-error. ;-)

If I use the domain cyg_server account, I can login with domain accounts
as well as local accounts, independent of their admin-ness.

Yeah, I wish I could created domain accounts of either or both types to try.
But I suppose in the end, I may just be confirming that the domain I'm
working in is..."odd".  The behaviour you describe is exactly what I would
expect.  The behaviour I'm seeing with my domain (as well as local admin)
user being able to connect with only a local cyg_server seems a bit odd to
me.  But I suppose even if it is a generic "loophole", one could consider
it a feature. ;-)

--
Larry