Re: locale -uU in ~/.profile

On 9/30/2014 1:12 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 09/30/2014 11:53 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I recently debugged this. I share my home directory from a NetApp filer
such that I can use it from Cygwin or the various Linux machines at my
client (largely CentOS). Recently I started seeing:

Adefaria-lt:ssh cm-db-ltest01
locale: invalid option -- 'u'
Try `locale --help' or `locale --usage' for more information.
Cm-db-test01:

Hunting this down I found that I have a ~/.profile now (didn't have one
before) and contained therein is the following:

# Set user-defined locale
export LANG=$(locale -uU)

Sounds like cygwin's base-files should be updated to guard
cygwin-specific .profile contents to only occur when uname says it is
running on cygwin.  I'm sure the maintainer would love patches...

Turns out that on CentOS locale doesn't support -uU. Now this .profile
came from a refreshing of Cygwin. How best to handle this...

You can guard that with something as simple as:

case $(uname) in
   CYGWIN*) export LANG=$(locale -uU) ;;
esac

(hmm, the moment you also share the .profile with a Solaris box, you'd
have to use `` instead of $(), but that's another story)

Is Solaris still that backward?!? I haven't been on a Solaris box for quite some time. Life's been good...
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com