fish prompt oddity

In fish, I like to set the prompt to print a blank line before the prompt text.  No
problem:  I just add an "echo" statement at the beginning of the fish_prompt
function.  In fish in Linux that works fine:

===
andrex@helium ~> pwd
/home/andrex
 andrex@helium ~>
===

But in Cygwin, it has a strange effect.  It seems that the prompt gets reprinted
every time the syntax highlighting changes, so I get a bunch of extra lines printed
as I type.  Here's how the same pwd command looks in my Cygwin fish console:

===
andrex@selenium ~>
andrex@selenium ~> pwd
andrex@selenium ~> pwd
andrex@selenium ~> pwd
/home/andrex

andrex@selenium ~>
===

I've tried working around this problem by adding

  if test -z (commandline) ; echo ; end

to fish_prompt instead of just echo, so it won't reprint the blank line if a command
is being typed.  But it doesn't help.  Apparently the prompt is computed once and
stored, then reprinted on each syntax highlighting change, including the extra
newline.

Is this caused by a configuration setting in fish that can be changed?  Something
Cygwin-specific?

Thanks,
Andrew