Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: emacs-24.3.93-3 [TEST]

On 10/17/2014 2:45 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 17/10/2014 14:53, Ken Brown wrote:
If this turns out not to be the issue, then I think you would need an
unoptimized build for further debugging.  I can provide one for you.

If you could, that would be great.

OK, I've built emacs-24.4-0 (based on a release candidate for emacs-24.4), which you can get from my personal Cygwin repository:

  http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/

There are instructions at that URL. This build has no optimization and also has some extra checking enabled: There are assertions sprinkled throughout the code that will trigger a call to emacs_abort if they fail.

The release includes a (slightly modified) .gdbinit file in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/etc, so you can source that in gdb. (The modification consists of disabling the feature that automatically produces a lisp backtrace whenever you ask for a backtrace, because that feature sometimes doesn't work well on Cygwin. But you can still use the 'xbacktrace' command to get a lisp backtrace.) See /usr/share/emacs/24.4/etc/DEBUG for further information about the commands defined in .gdbinit.

The next time you get a crash, I suggest you report it as an emacs bug (M-x report-emacs-bug), send a backtrace, and keep the gdb session running. There are people who read the bug reports, especially Eli Zaretskii, who are much better at debugging emacs than I am. And I subscribe to the bug list also, so I can chime in if there's something Cygwin-specific that I can add.

Thanks for offering to help debug this.

Ken