Re: Problems on case-sensitive file systems

On Oct 23 14:42, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 22.10.2014 16:00, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> >On Oct 22 09:01, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> >>I'm facing a number of issues with case-sensitivity which I've collected:
> >>
> >>There is a documented limitation on case-sensitivity using drive letter
> >>paths,
> >>also mentioned in https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00090.html
> >>(last item). I vaguely remember seeing a reason for this limitation in some
> >>mail but can't find it again. I think it would be good to remove this
> >>limitation because it breaks user expectations when working on
> >>case-sensitive drives.
> >The user expectation when using DOS paths is caseinsensitivity in the
> >first place.  But, as usual, there's no way to do this right, since
> >somebody will have another POV.  My stance is, don't use DOS paths when
> >using Cygwin.  At leats don't use DOS paths if you have any expectations
> >about special POSIX path handling on Cygwin.
> I use an application that uses Windows or mixed paths, I cannot influence
> it. So while I understand your POV, it would still be helpful to have path
> interpretation fully-featured. (If you point me to a place in winsup, I
> might even try to do something myself.)

I'm not going to apply a patch to do that.  DOS paths get no special
treatment, they are always handled with DOS/Windows defaults.

> >>According to documentation, the posix mount flag is enforced to be the same
> >>for all mounts below /cygdrive; is there a strong reason?
> >Yes.  The flags are shared between all cygdrive paths.  If you need
> >something else, don;'t use the cygdrive path, but another, manually
> >added mount point.  Note that this:
> >
> >  none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
> >  D: /cygdrive/d ntfs binary,nouser,posix=1,noumount 0 0
> >
> >does NOT work.  The manual paths must not overlap with the cygdrive
> >paths.
> I know and I did use a different path (maybe too similar to get
> recognized...). But it does not seem to work properly:
> I have now this in /etc/fstab:
> C: /mnt/c ntfs binary,nouser,posix=1,noumount 0 0
> T: /mnt/t smbfs binary,user,posix=1,noumount,auto 0 0

Drop the noumount and it will work.  noumount is an unknown mount flag
and, FWIW, not documented in
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Corinna

Red Hat