Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

On Nov  6 21:06, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  6 20:51, Christian Franke wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >That's right.  The reason is that the machine name is treated as a
> > >foreign machine.  In theory, this should always generate names
> > >with prefixed machine name, but this is an entirely different
> > >code path in mkpasswd/mkgroup.  I guess this should be fixed.
> > >
> > >I wouldn't be unhappy about help...
> >
> > I would only fix it back to the old behaviour (mkpasswd -l = no prefix),
> > sorry :-)
> >
> > At my real job we run several build & test machines which are members of a
> > domain but use various local test user accounts (with no collision with
> > domain users due to name space rules). Loosing the ability to use
> > prefix-less local user names would break various existing test scripts
> > (which are also used on Linux).
> >
> > Generated emails would have a from address with HOST+USER name part which
> > might give interesting results if the mail system somehow interprets the
> > NAME+EXTENSION address syntax...
> >
> > So there are use cases where prefix-less local user names are needed. This
> > should be still supported, e.g. by mkpasswd -l, IMO.
>
> But then... why not keep mkpasswd -L and use that instead?

On second thought, it's completely wrong to allow printing local
accounts from another machine without prefix.

In theory there should be only one option -l [machine], which prints the
local accounts of the current machine unprefixed (standalone machine) or
prefixed (domain machine), and always prefixed for a foreign machine.
The -L option can just go away.

Corinna

Red Hat