Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

On Nov 11 10:02, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/11/2014 9:14 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

> >>What about dependency loops?
> >>
> >>AFAICS, coreutils depends on tzcode, tzcode depends on coreutils.  Both
> >>depend on libgcc1.  This introduces a big problem in dependency
> >>resolution because there's no unambiguous starting point.
> >>
> >>What if we remove the coretuls dep from tzcode.
> >>
> >>Or, actually, what if we make sure that Base packages only depend
> >>on libs, but never on any other Base package?
> >
> >Except that all Base packages (other than base-cygwin) should depend on
> >base-cygwin.  That will guarantee that base-cygwin precedes all other
> >Base packages in the dependency order.

In theory that should be solved by the dependency to cygwin.  Cygwin
depends on base-cygwin, all other packages depend on cygwin.  The
problem is just that dependency loops can break that.

> >And if we make _autorebase
> >depend on nothing, then we're guaranteed that it precedes anything that
> >depends on it.

Per its setup.hint file it depends on nothing, just like base-cygwin,
and both packages request that they don't get an automatic dependency
to cygwin added.

> Of course, this still doesn't solve the problem of making sure that the
> _autorebase postinstall script runs whenever the user installs a package
> containing DLLs.  I wonder if we should reconsider Achim's proposal.  If I
> understand correctly, it is something like this (oversimplified):
>
> 1. Change autorebase.bat to do an incremental rebase instead of trying to do
> a full rebase.
>
> 2. Arrange for autorebase.bat to never be marked as "done".
>
> Achim, please correct me if my oversimplification distorts your suggestion
> too much.

Achim, can you give a management summary how your proposal works?

Corinna

Red Hat