Re: RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

On Nov 11, 2014, at 5:47 AM, Habermann, David (D) <DAHabermann@dow.com> wrote:

> I also like having everything stored under one main directory (c:\cygwin) for ease of backup

Why would you back up all of c:\cygwin?  Most of it is downloaded from the Internet, and this is easily reinstalled from your cached download.  (I’m assuming you keep setup.exe and its download tree on a network drive somewhere.)

My starting point for backup on Unix boxes is to exclude everything except /etc, /home and /usr/local.  Then maybe add a few choice things under /var.  Everything else can be reinstalled.

Since I’m already cherry-picking what to back up, it doesn’t matter to me that /home might be somewhere physically different than /usr.

c:\Users should be part of your backups anyway.

> and ease of identification of all cygwin-involved files for our virus and our application whitelisting systems.

Do you really have executables in $HOME/bin that won’t run unless whitelisted?  Does your security software actually ban programs in %HOMEPATH%?

I can see the need to smack the AV with a clue-bat occasionally for some things under /usr, if only to address false positives.