Re: /usr/local, /var and */tmp in c:\Users\Public

On 11/15/2014 12:55 PM, Lee wrote:

>> So, just because I installed Cygwin with my regular user account,
>
> You're doing it wrong.  Install Cygwin using an admin account and
> regular user accounts are not allowed write access to system
> files/directories:

This feels really wrong to me.  If installing Cygwin under a non-admin
account results in a potential security vulnerability, then the
installer should be taking that into account.  Applications that behave
differently depending upon how they are installed should have in the
installer an option for

 * install for all users (requires administrator)

 * install for the current user

Where install for current user installs the application configured so
that the current user account (and not others) can use it.

Just my two cents.

Jeffrey Altman