Re: Cygwin AD integration home/shell changes

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> > It's not a workaround from my POV to provide a fallback.  Creating a
>> > workable passwd entry is important.  If I implement it as you suggest
>> > above, I would still provide the typical "set home to the root dir"
>> > default.  Sure, that might be an option.
>>
>> If you mean "complain and set home to the root", then I'm happy with this
>> solution.

> No complain.  You still seem to have a problem to understand that this
> is underlying functionality under a couple of system calls generating
> passwd entries for arbitrary accounts.

> It's *not* necessarily the current account.  A user visible complaint for
> every unconfigured account enumerated via getpwent is quite over the top.

No, I perfectly understand it. The sooner I get slapped in the face with
a printout of my incorrect and intolerable settings, the better.

I do understand, that the settings MUST provide at least one sensible result.
Assuming we get sensible defaults, this will not be an issue for majority of
people.
However, for those, who wish to alter the setting, it is better, if they get a
slap this instant, if the setting is not quite right, rather than if they
discover issue after a long time is passed.
Issues with core configuration should not be masked by obscure defaults. IMHO.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...