Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.1

On Feb 14 15:50, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Denis Excoffier wrote on Friday, February 13, 2015 4:31 PM
> > You misunderstand.  I don't need this stupid
> > 'Document and Settings' thing.
>
> "C:\Documents and Settings" appears to be something Windows handles.
>
> On Windows 7 Professional (ver 6.1, SP 1):
>
> Open cmd.exe.
>
> "dir" does not show "C:\Documents and Settings".
>
> "dir /a:" shows the following.
>
> 07/14/2009  12:08 AM    <JUNCTION>     Documents and Settings [C:\Users]
>
> So it looks like "C:\Documents and Settings" = "C:\Users".
>
> On my current machine, in Windows Explorer, I cannot look inside
> "C:\Documents and Settings".  In cmd I can cd into it but neither "dir"
> nor "dir /a:" show any file.  However Explorer will let me see inside
> "C:\Documents and Settings\myusername".  In cmd I can cd from
> "C:\Documents and Settings" into "C:\Documents and Settings\myusername".
>
> I'll stop here since I don't know much about junctions.  But I hope that
> the above helps.

C:\Documents and Settings on Vista and later is not a junction, just a
symlink to C:\Users.  The weird behaviour is the result of the
permission settings:

$ cacls C:/Documents\ and\ Settings
C:\Documents and Settings Everyone:(DENY)(special access:)
                                   FILE_READ_DATA

                          Everyone:R
                          NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                          BUILTIN\Administrators:F

Note the deny entry.  Microsoft was trying to discourage the usage
of "Documents and Settings" for the users, while at the same time
keeping applications hardcoding the path (they exist, unfortunately)
running.

Corinna

Red Hat