Re: slow startup after upgrade

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>>  > Works very quickly for me.  Problem is, I don't know anything about
>>  > your environment.  Are you working remote or in an office?  How many
>>  > groups are in your user token?  What is the result of this funny
>>  > little statement Dennis created:
>>  >
>>  >   cmd /v:on /c "echo !TIME! & C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/echo "test" & echo !TIME!"
>>
>> On win7: that command takes .17, .44, .48, .53 sec between 1st & 2nd time stamp
>>
>> That had 'db' only for passwd/group in nsswitch.conf, no cygwin procs
>> running including cygserver.

> Sounds good to me.

>> On problematic winxp box:
>>     [passwd, group, db_shell: 'files db', 'files db' & /bin/dash]
>>       16.83, 17.03, 24.80, 28.79, 27.99, 27.39 sec
>>
>>     [passwd, group, db_shell: db, db & /bin/dash]
>>       23.51, 27.91, 28.78 sec

> Doesn't sound good at all.  Terrible in fact.  That a 32 or 64 bit XP?
> I didn't fire up my XP test machines for ages and I'm not overly enjoying
> it, but I guess I have to.  Oh well, hang on...

> [...time passes...]
> [...starting up...]
> [...XP...]
> [...32 bit...]
> [...updating...]
> [...testing...]

> Hmm, no.  In my case there's no visible delay starting mintty, and tcsh
> is my login shell, too.  mkpasswd and mkgroup are running comparably
> fast as on my W8.1 64 bit machine I'm using for testing in the first
> place.

> Something strange is going on on your XP machine, it seems.

Although I've migrated to Win7, I'm still using XP systems extensively, many
of them have Cygwin, and I didn't see anything even remotely close to his
results, ever.
His messages basically left me speechless, I was afraid to guess.
The half a minute startup of a shell, I could only attribute to environmental
issues.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...