octave/gnuplot fails with new cygwin dll.

<subject: octave/gnuplot fails with new cygwin dll. />

                                  2015.03.05.00:53:06 UT

Hey Cygwin folks,

     I just downloaded and installed the new Cygwin-1.7.35-1
and found this minor difficulty with my favorite software,
GNU Octave.  Prior to installation of the new cygwin dll,
I had no trouble, and the new dll is the only change that
I've made to my cygwin system.  I'm observing the following
problem with octave when I try to invoke the gnuplot
graphics tool:

<file: octave20150304crash.txt>
$ octave
GNU Octave, version 3.8.2

octave:1> hndle = plot(1:10,1:10,"k-")
hndle = -6.1426
      2 [main] octave-cli-3.8.2 3688 child_info_fork::abort:
      unable to remap cygfltk_gl-1.3.dll to same
      address as parent (0x320000) - try running rebaseall
error: popen2: process creation failed -- Resource temporarily unavailable
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/plot/util/private/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m
	 at line 30, column 40
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.2/m/plot/util/__gnuplot_drawnow__.m
	 at line 72, column 19
octave:2> quit;
</file>

     There is no difficulty when I attempt the plot with the
fltk graphics engine.  Also, I have run the ash.exe> rebaseall,
though that did not help.

     I think that I can recall a similar problem some months
(years?) ago when a new cygwin dll arrived.  It was something
to do with octave opening the wrong kind of IO pipe to gnuplot.
Maintainers should not allow my dumb recollections to bias
their thinking.  The evidence of a problem is what I have
just above.

     During that previous exchange, Marco Atzeri assisted
me to run an appropriate strace and gather more data.  Since
I cannot get my strace to run correctly, I'll wait until a
cygwin-octave maintainer can assist me.  I'm certain that I
can provide better data if a maintainer pokes me in the
correct brain cells.

Thanks,

George                       gee_barrick_at_kent_dot_edu