Re: Process under strace hangs sometimes

Hi all.

During an attempt to solve some (unrelated) issues, I noticed that running a configure script under strace would cause it to hang indefinitely (or at least for a very long time). I managed to reduce the script to one line; you should be able to reproduce with the following two commands.

echo 'echo $1 `(set -o) > /dev/null`' > hanger
for i in $(seq 1000); do strace -o ./log sh ./hanger $i; done

Unfortunately, it seems that the simpler the script is, the rarer the hang is. I need around 30 invocations, but when I asked other people to reproduce, they reported even larger numbers.

I hope I included everything important. If not, I'll be happy to provide more information.

--
David Macek