Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug

On 4/10/2015 2:21 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2015-04-09, René Berber wrote:

>> Why vim on Cygwin doesn't install, or use if you add one, /etc/vimrc?
>
> Executing
>     $ vim --version
> shows
>        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
>          user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
>      2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
>           user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
>       fall-back for $VIM: "/etc"
>      f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/share/vim/vim74"
> From within vim,
>     :echo $VIM
> shows
>     /usr/share/vim
> So, Cygwin's vim looks for the system vimrc at /usr/share/vim/vimrc,
> not /etc/vimrc.
> Personally, I really like that Cygwin does not include a system
> vimrc in its vim package.

Two points:

1. Users expect things to work out-of-the-box.  As shown by this thread
vim is not.

2. If there is a standard, it should be used.  Moving from Linux to
Cygwin should be transparent, but in the former there is an /etc/vimrc,
in the later there isn't, and even more confusing: if you add one it
doesn't work (for the reason you showed).

> I don't understand what you mean that the 5th line doesn't work and
> has to be commented.

It means that if you leave it, vim will complain when you start it:

"Error detected while processing /etc/virc:
line    5:
E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax on"

> I have "syntax on" in my ~/.vimrc file and
> syntax highlighting works just fine.

Corinna already pointed that out.

The point is: why does it work when in ~/.vimrc, and not on /etc/virc
(not a typo, /etc/vimrc is not used at all, another deviation from the
standard?).

Thanks for your reply, but this thread is getting off-topic.
--
René Berber