Re: [TESTERS needed] New POSIX permission handling

Hi,

Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> On Apr 16 03:20, Ismail Donmez wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
>> > I just applied a patch which is supposed to handle this owner==group
>> > scenario better.
>> >
>> > In short, Cygwin will try to handle POSIX user and group permissions
>> > separately, even if owner == group.  This is basically a fake as far
>> > as the actual permissions of the account are concerned, but it allows
>> > applications still to chmod to different user and group perms.  It
>> > just *looks* different in the end.
>> >
>> > The only restriction of this is that the POSIX user permissions are
>> > always changed so that the user perms are >= the group perms in this
>> > situation.  So this:
>> >
>> >   chmod 460 foo
>> >
>> > will be internally twisted into
>> >
>> >   chmod 660 foo
>> >

>> > I uploaded new developer snapshots to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>> > and I'm just uploading a 2.0.0-0.5 test release with this change.
>>
>> I tested the new test release (rm -rfd the cygwin installation and
>> re-installed from scratch just to be sure), my original testcase with
>> quilt
>> and mutt works, BUT now when I run make install inside mutt source it
>> complains that /usr/bin/install cannot change permissions on the
>> destination
>> executables.
>
> Hmm, ok.  Off the top of my head I don't understand this.
>
>> can post an easily reproducable error. Because running the same command
>> myself gives no error whatsoever. I'll try to come up with a better
>> report.
>
> That would be nice.  A good start would be to know what permission mask
> install is trying to set the destination to.  Maybe that sheds some light.

So I am trying to configure and install mutt, and the first error I see is
at the end of configure:

configure: creating ./config.status
chmod: changing permissions of './config.status': Permission denied
configure: error: write failure creating ./config.status

Well, looks like its right:

[~/src/mutt]> chmod +x config.status
chmod: changing permissions of âconfig.statusâ: Permission denied

[~/src/mutt]> uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.3 ux31a 2.0.0(0.287/5/3) 2015-04-15 17:39 x86_64 Cygwin

[~/src/mutt]> getfacl .
# file: .
# owner: ismail
# group: ismail