Terminal window hostname always showing

Is it possible to turn off the automatic hostname that the window
manager is adding to terminal windows?

Right now, on any machine I log into, they all use escape sequences to
set the title of the window.  However, the window manager (not sure
which I have, looks like xorg-server) on the Cygwin system is adding a
hostname to the title.

I'm using the bash escape sequence "\u@\h: \w" which is supposed to give
me the user and the short name of the host (minus the domain) and the
path.  However, all my terminals on the Cygwin system end up like this:

user@host: ~ @host.example.com

If I change the escape sequence on the remote machine to use the full
hostname, the result on the Cygwin system is:

user@host.example.com: ~

It seems to me that the window manager is interpreting the data in the
escape sequence and opting to put a hostname on the title if it can't
find one that matches the connection.

It does the same thing if I use -T/-n on the remote xterm command.  I
end up with something like

title-used-on-command-line@host.example.com

I've verified that it's Cygwin's window manager doing it by logging in
from a regular Linux box and changing the title manually, no host name
showing up.  I'd like to stop this so the titles are what I set.

This is the data from the xserver log:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.16.3.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1 data2 1.7.34(0.285/5/3) 2015-02-04 12:14 x86_64
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (Win64)
Package: version 1.16.3-1 built 2014-12-30

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin :0 -multiwindow -nolisten tcp -auth