Re: emacs-w32 24.5.1: Crashes with --daemon and in "About Emacs"

On 5/15/2015 7:22 AM, Martin Anantharaman wrote:
- Crash in server-mode: One of the advantages of Cygwin emacs-w32 is that it
supports the server-mode via invocation with --daemon (also coming soon to
official Emacs!). But using emacsclient wihtout any options first gives an
error and then crashes emacs-w32. See attachment "emacs-test"

I can't reproduce this.  And I'm puzzled by the output:

> $ emacsclient .shrc
> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
> To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
> Waiting for Emacs...
> *ERROR*: Could not open file: /dev/cons0

On my system if emacsclient can't find the socket (which only happens if there's no server running), I see the following in a Cygwin Terminal (mintty):

$ emacsclient-w32 foo
emacsclient-w32: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient-w32: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

        --socket-name
        --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
        --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)

I also don't understand why emacsclient would be trying to open /dev/cons0. Do you by any chance have EMACS_SERVER_FILE set in your environment to /dev/cons0?

- Crash in About Emacs: On another machine with (in contrast to my primary
machine) very lean installation (see attachment 3) emacs-w32 crashes when I
open the About Emacs page from the Help menu.

I can't reproduce this either. I tried it in a fresh Cygwin install, just choosing emacs-w32 and its dependencies. I ran 'emacs-w32&' in a Cygwin Terminal, emacs opened in a new window, and there was no problem after clicking on "About Emacs".

Ken